- Balliol College, University of Oxford (BA, MA, DPhil)
- Doctor of Science, University of Oxford (DSc)
- Fellow Royal Society of Chemistry (CChem FRSC)
FRCA by election
Honorary Member of British Pain Society
Honorary Member if International Association for the Study of Pain
Robert G Addison award, American Academy of Pain Medicine
Honorary Professor, School of Health Sciences, University of Wales at Swansea
Chairman, International Association for Study of Pain Systematic Review and Evidence special interest group
- 1999 on Managing Director, Bandolier Ltd
- 1985 on Honorary Senior Research fellow, Pain Research, Nuffield Division of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford
- 1994 on Editor in Chief, Bandolier
- 1986-1994 Managing Director, EURO/DPC Ltd and other group companies
- 1977-1986 Consultant Biochemist, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford
- Founding editor Bandolier, an evidence-based journal 1994.
- 40 years biomedical research, with over 500 scientific and clinical publications, with contributions to writing systematic reviews and meta-analyses, as well as to methodological improvement.
- Written over 200 systematic reviews, many in pain, including around 100 Cochrane reviews.
- Author of a number of books on evidence based medicine and pain
- H-index of over 80.